Foster Town Hall
181 Howard Hill Road
Foster, RI 02825
Phone: (401) 392-9208
Director of Human Services
Department of Human Services
The Department of Human Services
is accepting donations for the following:
Thanksgiving -- food and money donations.
Christmas -- gift tags for children in need will be available around town the beginning of November. (Gifts are requested to be returned by December 7.) Food and monetary donations are also needed.
Fuel Assistance donations.
All donations can be dropped off at the Town Hall lobby, DHS office,
Foster libraries or post office. Monetary donations can be mailed
to Town of Foster, DHS, 181 Howard Hill Road, Foster, RI 02825.
Thank you for your support during the holidays and winter months!
In-Town Services Provided by the Department Of Human Services
Monday through Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Thursdays 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.. Closed Fridays.
- In an emergency, call 911
- Elder Abuse / Neglect Hotline: 401-462-0555
- Child Abuse / Neglect Hotline: 1-800-742-4453
- CASH ASSISTANCE / SNAP / MEDICAL ASSISTANCE- Application assistance by Foster DHS and processed by State Office in Cranston (LTC) and DHS office in Woonsocket.
- DEPT. OF ELDERLY AFFAIRS GRANT - Provides funds for food vouchers; emergency snow removal, emergency fuel assistance, medical assistance, emergency transportation, emergency housing.
- ELDERLY IN-HOME SERVICES - Referrals to Tri-Town Community Action Agency in Johnston for Elder Care Case Management and DEA - Abuse/Neglect follow up 401-349-5760.
- FOSTER FOOD PANTRY – Located in the Foster DHS office, the food pantry provides for households in financial need. USDA commodities are distributed monthly for households that meet the income criteria. The food pantry relies on food and monetary donations and grants.
- SPECIAL NEEDS FUND - Private donations are used to assist clients in need of emergency services - heating assistance, food, medical assistance, emergency housing, car repairs, tax assistance, transportation, etc.
- TEEN FUND – Assists students in need of funds for class dues, help with school trips, prom tickets/clothes, college application deposits, etc.
- SALVATION ARMY – “Good Neighbor Energy Fund” provides assistance for clients who are over the federal guidelines, but are in need of oil/gas/wood to heat their homes, and for families in jeopardy of having their electrical service terminated.
~The SA Service Unit sponsors programs for children going back to school with new backpacks and shoe vouchers. (Private donations are collected for school supplies.) It also provides for Thanksgiving food baskets and vouchers, Christmas toys, and unforeseen emergencies.
- HOLIDAY DISTRIBUTIONS - Need-based programs:
- THANKSGIVING - Food is received from local schools, churches, the Salvation Army, and private donations for distribution baskets.
- CHRISTMAS - Gifts are distributed to children whose families are facing financial hardship. Donations for gifts and holiday food baskets are received from public, civic and private donations.
- OUTREACH - Available to all eligible residents through CCAP - providing food, shelter, clothing, and family health services, daycare, Head Start, all types of counseling, employee assistance program, comprehensive emergency services, etc.
- VOLUNTEER GUARDIANSHIP PROGRAM – available through Cornerstone Agency in Warwick.
- EMERGENCY FUEL ASSISTANCE - Helps households in financial crisis. Funding is provided by civic and private donations and grants. Clients must apply for other heating assistance through CCAP and the State’s Energy Office if eligible.
- CLOTHING CLOSET - Donations provide free clothing and shoes to those facing financial hardship.
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE - Support and assistance is available through Sojouner House in Providence: 401-861-6191.
- LEGAL SERVICES - Pro bono and reduced rates for income eligible households - RI Legal Services: 401-274-2652.
DROPBOXES FOR FOOD DONATIONS are available
at the Town Hall, DHS office, Post Office and Foster Libraries.
MONEY DONATIONS to support the above programs can be
Foster DHS, 181 Howard Hill Road, Foster, RI 02825.